Borough of Manhattan Community College launched the 2012-2013 academic year with the opening of The Miles and Shirley Fiterman Hall.
The original Fiterman Hall was built in 1959, and donated to CUNY on behalf of BMCC in 1993 by Miles and Shirley Fiterman. The building was irreparably damaged when World Trade 7 fell against it, in the attacks of 9/11. Fiterman Hall Timeline
The rebuilt Miles and Shirley Fiterman Hall—a 14-story building designed by the architectural firm of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners and built by Hunter Roberts Construction Group—houses a world-class, fine arts center and public café, as well as approximately 80 Smart Classrooms and computer laboratories, offices, library spaces, music ensemble rooms and a rooftop conference center.
Fiterman Hall overlooks the World Trade Center site and Memorial Park, with southerly, scenic windows spanning several floors. Other views encompass the East River, Hudson River, New York Harbor, Wall Street area and midtown high rises. The building’s Grand Staircase ascends from the lobby to the 4th floor, and there are two spiral staircases—one rising from the 4th floor to the 10th, another from the 5th floor to the 14th. Escalators and high-speed elevators add to the convenience of the new building, which increases BMCC’s classroom capacity by about a third.