- Institutions grant from 3 to 12 college credits for each CLEP exam taken. (See recommended scores.)
- CLEP is administered on a computer and exams are available year-round.
- The tests are timed and 90 minutes long.
- You must wait at least 3 months to repeat an exam after you have taken it.
- College Composition exams are composed primarily of two essays and multiple-choice questions. This exam is 2 hours long.
- All exams are scored on a scale of 20 to 80 and the recommended credit-granting score for all exams is 50, a score representative of a grade of C.
- There is no penalty for guessing, students are encouraged to answer every question on their exam.
- Score reports are available immediately upon completion of the exam. Students know right away how they performed.**
- More than 5 million people have taken CLEP exams since its inception in 1967.
** Scores for College Composition with Essay are available 2-3 weeks after the exam date.