• Institutions grant from 3 to 12 college credits for each CLEP exam taken. (See recommended scores.)
• CLEP is administered on a computer and exams are available year-round.
• The tests are timed and 90 minutes long.
• You must wait at least 6 months to repeat an exam after you have taken it.
• With the exception of English Composition with Essay, exams are composed primarily of multiple-choice questions. Some mathematics exams include fill-in type questions.
• All exams are scored on a scale of 20 to 80 and the recommended credit-granting score for all exams is 50, a score representative of a grade of C.
• There is no penalty for guessing, students are encouraged to answer every question on their exam.
• Score reports are available immediately upon completion of the exam. Students know right away how they performed.**
• More than 5 million people have taken CLEP exams since its inception in 1967.
** Scores for English Composition with Essay are available 2-3 weeks after the exam date.